Workmen accidentally caused fire

06 Nov 2012

A fire that broke out at a primary school in Leicester was accidentally caused by workmen on the site, investigators have said.

The blaze, which began at around 2pm on October 30, destroyed the gymnasium and caused damage to a number of classrooms.

Pupils had to be evacuated and sent home while more than 60 firefighters put out the fire on the roof of the building.

Incident commander Rick Moughton told the Leicester Mercury that a stray spark from a heat gun ignited material in the gym roof space and it subsequently caught fire.

A 'suitable and sufficient' fire risk assessment must be conducted on all schools in England and Wales, under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

If the assessment is not carried out then the responsible person could face an unlimited fine or a prison sentence of up to two years.

In cases where a school is maintained by the local authority, the ultimate responsibility for fire safety lies with the authority itself.

Copyright Press Association 2012



« Back