Schools criticised for poor hygiene

06 Sep 2011

The mother of a child who died from E.coli has told of her shock at the poor level of hygiene in schools across south Wales.

Sharon Mills, whose five-year-old son Mason Jones died after eating contaminated meat at school, has called on parents to demand answers from councils as to why schools are scoring poor hygiene ratings.

Ms Mills, of Deri near Caerphilly, made the comments as latest figures from Consumer Focus Wales showed that 48 schools across the country scored hygiene ratings of just one or two.

She said that any score under three was extremely poor and that it is extremely worrying to think that some of the most vulnerable children in society are being served food under such dubious conditions. She also called on local councils to do more to ensure that schools start to comply with hygiene standards.

"Parents should be looking at the food ratings website and if their school is scoring three or below then I would urge them to put pressure on environmental health and ask why they've been scored so low," she said.

Copyright Press Association 2011



« Back