Rugby club devastated by fire blaze

14 Aug 2013

One of the oldest rugby clubs in Wales has been left devastated by what officials are calling a 'deliberate' fire.

The blaze at Maesteg RFC has destroyed memorabilia and ruined electrics in the clubhouse, while a stand may need to be pulled down after steelwork was seriously damaged.

Fire crews arrived at the scene shortly after 1700 on Tuesday and spent three hours tackling the intense flames.

Police are currently carrying out an investigation into what happened, although club chairman David Morgan is adamant that the team's season will go ahead as planned.

He said he had managed to enter the clubhouse after fire crews had left and was greeted by "considerable damage" inside.

The members' lounge, the cellar and the sponsors' lounge have all been dramatically hit by the fire, while smoke and water damage is evident throughout.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said they received numerous calls about the blaze, which was brought under control within an hour.

Copyright Press Association 2013



« Back