Pub blaze family rescued from roof

30 Apr 2012

Fire crews were called out to a pub in East Sussex to rescue a family from the rooftop after a fire broke out in a tumble drier.

At around 2.50am on Thursday, three crews from East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called to the Royal Oak Inn, in Pett, near Hastings. Two adults and a child had fled to the roof of the building, after being woken up by the sound of their smoke alarm.

A spokeswoman for East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service told local reporters: "It was only a small fire in the tumble drier but three people had to be rescued from the roof.

"There was a lot of smoke in the building below so they couldn't get down so they climbed onto the roof."

According to the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, a 'suitable and sufficient' fire risk assessment has to be undertaken in all commercial properties in England and Wales. If the assessment is not passed then the responsible person can face up to two years in prison and be forced to pay an unlimited fine.

Copyright Press Association 2012



« Back