Narrow escape from pub chimney fire

15 Feb 2013

A pub in North Yorkshire narrowly avoided serious structural damage after a chimney blaze got out of control.

The gradual erosion of brickwork has been blamed for the fire which spread from the chimney to the roof after a fireplace had been lit in the lounge area at the Captain Cook Inn, in Staithes.

Fortunately the site's automatic fire alarm sounded and the owner was able to call the fire services quickly, therefore ensuring everyone's safety and limiting damage.

Under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, non-domestic premises in England and Wales must have a "suitable and sufficient" fire risk assessment. If this is thought to have been carried out insufficiently the Responsible Person can face up to two years in prison or an unlimited fine.

Copyright Press Association 2013



« Back