Man overcome by chemical fumes

22 Nov 2011

A Coventry man was sent to hospital after he inhaled chemical fumes while cleaning his house at the weekend.

The 51-year-old felt ill after he brushed a sulphuric acid compound and poured bleach on bathroom tiles at his house in Brays Lane.

West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service said the two agents combined to create a "pungent gas" but two other people in the property were not taken ill.

Spokesman Bill Gough said that firefighters fitted with breathing apparatus diluted the mixture after the man called them at about 3pm on Sunday. He has since been discharged from hospital after making a full recovery.

Mr Gough added: "What we would say to people is read the labels on the tins, bottles and jars of these particular chemicals because they do give in their instructions for use a warning that they shouldn't be used with any other cleaning fluids."

Copyright Press Association 2011



« Back