Landlord injured fighting pub blaze

27 Jun 2012

Fireman say the quick-thinking actions of a landlord, who was injured tackling a kitchen blaze, probably saved his pub.

The Bolton News reported how the 44-year-old landlord brought the fire under control with a light water extinguisher when a deep fat fryer caught light after being left switched on all night at the Red Lion.

Fire crews were called to the pub in Over Hulton, Bolton, just before 7am on Sunday. The landlord was taken to the Royal Bolton Hospital for treatment after suffering smoke inhalation and a burn to his hand.

Russ Condon, watch manager at Atherton Fire Station, said: "He has done a really good job, he saved the kitchen and he probably saved the pub too."

All commercial properties in England and Wales need a "suitable and sufficient" fire risk assessment to be carried out under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. An unlimited fine or prison sentence of up to two years can be imposed on the responsible person if the fire risk assessment is deemed to have been conducted to an insufficient extent.

Copyright Press Association 2012



« Back