Fish and chip shop owner fined £21k

16 Aug 2012

A fish and chip shop owner has been fined £21,000 after it was found that the premises did not abide by fire safety regulations.

The safety breaches were discovered after a fire broke out at the Beach Break Cafe fish and chip shop in Brighton last year.

Owner Samantha Coull pleaded guilty to six offences under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, according to Brighton and Hove News.

There was a complete absence of emergency lighting at the property, which had just one domestic smoke alarm that was actually faulty, Brighton Magistrates Court heard.

No fire risk assessment had been undertaken by the owner and staff at the shop had not been given any training on how to respond if a fire broke out.

Commenting on the case, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service head of protection Richard Fowler said: "The public should continue to be reassured that we take any breaches of fire safety legislation very seriously."

Copyright Press Association 2012



« Back