Firm fined after chemical burns

30 Aug 2011

An engineering firm has been fined £6,000 after a 17-year-old worker suffered burns to his face and one of his eyes.

Jack Amey, from Caister-on-Sea, was welding at Moughton Engineering's factory on the Gapton Hall industrial estate in Great Yarmouth when he suffered the injuries.

Great Yarmouth Magistrates' Court heard that Mr Amey had been asked to get burns off some small stainless steel tanks with a toxic cleaning fluid last October.

Mr Amey was then left to work with the substance known as pickling paste unsupervised, even though he was unaware of the fact it could cause serious burns, the court heard.

The Health and Safety Executive launched an investigation and found that Mr Amey suffered the burns when the tub slipped from his hand.

Moughton Engineering, of Faraday Road, Great Yarmouth, admitted breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act. As well as the fine it was ordered to pay costs of £4,846.80.

Copyright Press Association 2011



« Back