Fires spark Christmas safety alert

29 Nov 2012

Firefighters have issued a festive fire safety warning following blazes thought to have been sparked by Christmas candles and faulty lighting.

Both fires were in Jersey, with the first suspected to have been caused by an electrical fault on Christmas tree lights and the second by a candle.

Station manager Marc Le Cornu said with many families planning to put up their decorations over the next couple of weeks, people should check electrical items first, ensure lights are not left on at the mains when they go to bed and avoid leaving burning candles unattended.

He told the BBC: "These unfortunate incidents serve as a timely reminder of the potential fire hazards associated with the festive period. We would ask people to ensure that their Christmas lights are checked thoroughly before use to ensure they are in a suitable condition with the correct bulbs being used."

Mr Le Cornu added that people using Christmas candles should make sure they're not put near trees, furnishings or other decorations.

Copyright Press Association 2012



« Back