Fire service halts station blaze

15 Aug 2011

The importance of having a smoke alarm and evacuation plan was highlighted recently when firefighters in Glasgow had to tackle a blaze in their own station.

Polmadie community fire station - which covers the Shawlands, Pollokshields, Queens Park and Govanhill areas - had two rooms damaged after a fire erupted in the building's ceiling due to an electrical fault.

Station commander Dougie Boyd said: "This unfortunate incident shows just how important it is to have a working smoke alarm in place. A fire can happen to anyone, not even the fire service is immune.

"It is clear that without the early warning of our fire alarms, the damage and risk of injury could have been a great deal worse."

Hints and tips on how people can improve fire safety in their home are on the Strathclyde Fire and Rescue service website, according to Mr Boyd, who added that services from the station were back to normal levels.

Copyright Press Association 2011



« Back