Fire safety rap for ex eatery boss

27 Jul 2012

The failure to provide adequate fire safety provision for people sleeping above a Tyneside Indian restaurant has landed its former owner £3,000 in fines.

Amed Ali admitted 12 offences under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 at North Tyneside Magistrates' Court in May and he was fined £250 for each offence and ordered to pay £3,500 in costs at a Newcastle Crown Court hearing this month.

Inspectors from the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service inspected the Light of India restaurant in Wallsend in May last year and found several breaches of fire safety, such as inadequate escape routes, a lack of fire safety training and no risk assessment.

Businesses that do not comply with fire safety regulations put the lives of anyone on the premises at risk, according to Group manager Darren Boddy of Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service.

He said that a fire risk assessment was vital to identify dangers to people in premises and that "an appropriate standard of fire safety measures, systems and adequate escape routes" was a must.

Copyright Press Association 2012



« Back