Fire in jet ski shop delays trains

15 Nov 2011

A fire in a jet ski service and parts shop that contained gas cylinders caused a supermarket to be evacuated and disruptions to transport services.

The blaze began on Monday evening at around 6.30pm at the Jetski Ecosse on Portland Road in Irvine, Ayrshire.

Fire crews said the blaze was "well developed" and there was concern as the acetylene cylinders were a "significant and unpredictable rupture/explosion hazard" when heated in fires.

Customers were evacuated from a neighbouring Tesco store as the crews tackled the fire by pouring water on to the flames from a distance. A local railway line from Barassie to Irvine was also closed.

ScotRail said passengers could face delays, alterations to services and cancellations until Tuesday.

Copyright Press Association 2011



« Back