Fire breaks out in town centre pub

07 Jan 2014

A pub in Cheltenham was evacuated after a fire broke out in the cellar.

About 20 firefighters with four engines tackled the blaze at the Bayshill Pub after they were called to the scene on Sunday at about 7pm.

The Gloucestershire Echo reported no injuries from the fire, which is believed to have started in the fuse board in the cellar. Eyewitnesses at the scene said they saw smoke pouring out of the building at the height of the fire.

Nick Phillips, who lives near the pub, told the Gloucestershire Echo: "No flames are visible but there has been a lot of smoke pouring from the building and lots of firefighters with breathing equipment."

Police, who also attended the emergency, closed the street between the St George's Road and St James' Square Junctions until about 10pm on Sunday night.

Firefighter Dave Pike said "There has been a fire in the fuse board in the cellar. We have a team down there at the moment trying to stop it from spreading.

"We have not inspected it but no serious damage is thought to have been caused."

Copyright Press Association 2014



« Back