Fire blamed on electrical fault

18 Jul 2012

An electrical fault forced a busy street in Worcester city centre to be closed, after a fire blazed through a popular sandwich shop.

Firefighters were called to the scene at Daisy's Kitchen in Pump Street on July 15, following reports of smoke billowing from the ground and first floors of the shop.

Crews from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service quickly identified the fault in a chilled cabinet on the ground floor and extinguished the inferno before Pump Street re-opened at 12.15pm.

Watch commander Carl Horsburgh told Worcester News that the stores either side of the sandwich shop suffered smoke damage during the incident, but there were no reports of any injuries.

All commercial properties in England and Wales are required to carry out a 'suitable and sufficient' fire risk assessment under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order (2005).

Should the fire risk assessment fail to be carried to the full extent, the Responsible Person can face up to two years in prison or an unlimited fine.

Copyright Press Association 2012



« Back