Fire at busy Sheffield restaurant

03 Jul 2012

A Sheffield street was cordoned off by fire services on July 1 when a fire was reported in the basement of a restaurant.

The fire broke out at the Noodle Inn on London Road, causing an evacuation of customers and both pedestrians and traffic being blocked from accessing the street.

No-one was hurt in the fire, and the fire services succeeded in putting out the fire before any significant damage was caused.

Local newspaper the Sheffield Star reported that the incident was tackled by three engines from the Central and Mansfield Road stations, with a powder extinguisher used on the blaze itself.

Speaking to the newspaper after the fire, a spokesperson for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said that it was believed to have been caused by a faulty electrical power supply box in the basement.

Incidents such as this one show the importance of following the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, which stresses that the Responsible Person in a restaurant should regularly assess fire risks and check all equipment is working properly.

In situations such as this, it is also vital that there are procedures in place if a fire does start and that all staff know what to do.

Copyright Press Association 2012



« Back