Faulty air con behind hotel fire

04 Oct 2013

A blaze at a hotel in the centre of Cambridge that required the attendance of 11 fire crews was most likely caused by a faulty air conditioning unit, it has been reported.

Guests staying at the University Arms Hotel near Parker's Piece were evacuated in the early hours of Tuesday morning as the flames broke out on the top floor.

No one was hurt in the incident, Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

Crews from Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire and Suffolk were called upon to tackle the fierce blaze, although the hotel has since reopened its doors to the general public.

A spokesman from the University Arms said it was "business as normal".

Fire service investigators and an external forensic investigator spent two days examining the scene, looking for clues in the gutted section of the hotel to find out what caused it.

"The most likely cause of the fire is a fault in an air conditioning unit, located in the room where the fire started," said station commander Paul Clarke following the investigation.

Copyright Press Association 2013



« Back