Fan build-up led to restaurant fire

02 May 2013

A build-up of material in an extractor fan is thought to be responsible for a fire in the first-floor kitchen of a restaurant in Dorset.

Diners were present when the fire started at the Boathouse restaurant in Christchurch, which had to be evacuated.

Nobody is believed to have been injured in the blaze, which was attended by eight fire crews. Firefighters were able to save most of the building by tackling the flames with an aerial platform.

A spokeswoman for Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said a clogged up extractor fan was the likely cause of the incident, saying it was caused by "a build-up of combustibles in an extraction unit".

On its Facebook page, the restaurant thanked the fire services for saving the building. "We've got some work to do, but the restaurant and bar is fine! We'll be open for coffees and drinks and may get the kitchen up and running for lunch."

Copyright Press Association 2013



« Back