Devon hotel hit by fire in kitchen

03 Oct 2012

A fire in the kitchen of a 17th century hotel in Devon, that spread to a ballroom on the first floor, needed the assistance of several fire crews on Saturday September 29.

Firefighters tackled the flames for more than four hours while staff and 35 guests were evacuated around 10pm from the Royal Seven Stars Hotel. This Is Somerset reported that guests were provided with alternative rooms for the night.

The kitchen's two deep fat fryers were believed to be involved in the blaze Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service stated and it is thought to have been started accidentally.

The hotel posted a message on its twitter page on the day after the fire saying that its bars were open but that there would be no food for the next two days.

The message added that the kitchen and ballroom were damaged but no other areas were affected and nobody was injured.

Technical manager at the Fire Industry Association Phil Martin said that according to reports in the papers the evacuation was performed properly following the prompt raising of the alarm.

Copyright Press Association 2012



« Back