Deadly bacteria found inside taps
07 Feb 2012
The potentially fatal bacteria which resulted in four babies dying in Northern Ireland has been found inside taps used in the hospital.
The Public Health Agency found the deadly pseudomonas bacteria in the neo-natal unit of Altnagelvin, Londonderry.
Measures have been put in place to make sure that newborns do not get infected by the water supply, by only using sterilised water when caring for infants.
Although no babies are currently infected, traces of the bacteria have been found on the skin of two infants.
Recently three other outbreaks have been reported at the Royal Jubilee Maternity Hospital in Belfast.
A spokesperson for the PHA said that samples had found pseudomonas in a small number of water outlets in the neonatal unit.
The spokesperson added: "As in all neonatal units, including Altnagelvin, steps had already been taken to ensure that babies are not coming into contact with the water supply."
Stormont health minister said that trusts might not have reacted fast enough to make sure other outbreaks were stopped.
Copyright Press Association 2012