Chalet fires at Pontin's resort

06 Jan 2012

Four people have been taken to hospital after eight chalets caught fire at a Pontin's holiday resort in Somerset.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service has confirmed that two fire engines and a water carrier initially attended the scene. However soon after arriving, firefighters called for further assistance which was given by neighbouring fire and rescue services.

A spokesman from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: "No persons were trapped although it is confirmed that four casualties were transferred to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation."

The fire fighters attending the scene wore breathing apparatus and needed two main jets, two hose reel jets and one foam jet in order to extinguish the flames.

Following an investigation it was confirmed that the fire was started accidentally due to items left on a cooker.

The fire service has now closed their investigation.

Copyright Press Association 2012



« Back