Baby's E.coli death remains mystery
28 Nov 2011
The death in Swansea of a premature baby fatally infected with E.coli may always be a mystery.
Two babies found to have the bacteria in their bloodstream died at Singleton Hospital. Although officials are believed to know how one became infected with ESBL E.coli, they have not been able to find out how cross infection happened in the other child.
Enquiries continue into the mystery of the death of the second baby, named locally as Hope Erin Evans. The officials are also probing the case of an unrelated woman who tested positive for the bug but has not presented symptoms.
ESBL E.coli is not harmful in most people carrying it but can cause serious infections in premature babies, the elderly, and other vulnerable individuals.
Investigations into the two babies had not shown evidence of how the bug was transmitted to the baby or the woman as no evidence of ESBL E.coli was found in the environment, said Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board (ABM), which runs Singleton Hospital.
Copyright Press Association 2011