Aberystwyth chip shop catches fire

05 Feb 2013

Fire crews on the west coast of Wales had to react quickly to extinguish a blaze at a fish and chip shop in the centre of Aberystwyth.

The Express chip shop in Alexandra Road caught fire just before 09:30 GMT on Monday after a problem with the fan motor in the cooking range, but workers from Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service were on the scene quickly.

The firefighters, who arrived at the town centre fish and chip shop in two appliances, managed to get the blaze under control within 10 minutes but the takeaway is set to remain closed until Wednesday.

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 stipulates that restaurants, takeaways and other commercial properties in England and Wales have to have a "suitable and sufficient" fire risk assessment carried out.

And if they do not or it is not conducted adequately or to a sufficient level, the responsible person can be subject to either an unlimited fine or a prison sentence of up to two years.

Copyright Press Association 2013



« Back